Sunday, April 18, 2010

Acerola Cherry




Why should I Care about the Acerola Cherry?


Admittedly, I’m quite the skeptic when it comes to “newly discovered” super foods that basically promise to save me from aging and guarantee me to live forever. When I first heard about the acerola cherry, I assumed it was another “super food” fad that would pass with time, but the more I tried to ignore it the more prevalent its “super food” status became. Before I knew it, friends and acquaintances from all over were taking acerola cherry supplements and staying healthy while I was in bed with the flu. What gives?



The Key to the Acerola Cherry is Vitamin C


Vitamin C has long been recognized as the vitamin that keeps our immune system strong and fights against colds and flues. This acerola cherry contains a very concentrated amount of vitamin C, making it one of the most effect ways for anyone to be sure that they are certainly getting enough of this essential vitamin on a daily basis.


But that’s not all the acerola cherry does for me. Supplements of this kind will also:


Help me fight the signs of aging on many levels: by freeing my body of toxins and free radicals, and by helping with the production of collagen

Help me combat disease and illness, such as cardiovascular diseases and cancers

Help me produce more anti-stress hormones, something I’m sure most of us can certainly benefit from!

Assist in the absorption of iron

Reduce my cholesterol levels

Reduce my blood pressure

Quicken the healing of wounds, bruises and burns

Improve my metabolism (and help me lose weight!)


With all of these benefits stacking up by the day, it’s no wonder that the acerola cherry is considered to be a super food!



What should I Look For in an Acerola Cherry supplement?


Acerola cherry supplements come in a number of forms: from fresh to freeze dried to capsules and even powders! Though fresh is always best, most of us do not have ready access to an acerola bush.


Most importantly, you must go for as natural a product as possible. The less synthetic materials that are in a supplement, the better. Do not mistake the word “natural” that may be included on a label to actually mean that the product inside the jar is “natural”. The fewer ingredients in a product, the better.


Avoid any supplements that contain artificial flavorings or dyes, as these are also synthetic materials that often are made from toxic materials (such as carcinogens).



Is there Anything I Should Know before Taking an Acerola Cherry Supplement?


Certain types of drugs and vitamins should NOT be taken with an acerola cherry supplement, or any vitamin c supplement for that matter. Some of the most notable include:


Warfarin (such as aspirin, vitamin E, and fish oils high in both EPA and DHA)

MAOI antidepressants (i.e. Parstelin or Ardil)

Folic acid without B12

Anticonvulsants and folic acid


If you are currently taking a number of vitamins and supplements, be sure to discuss any side effects you may experience with a professional if you choose to take an acerola cherry supplement.